In the 21ˢᵗ century, we have organizations everywhere full of knowledge and data overflowing in and out. A sound knowledge base system in place comes into the picture to handle the rotation of expertise in the organization. For this, we now see new roles being introduced, namely- a knowledge manager.
A knowledge manager is essentially responsible for leveraging knowledge in any organization. They sit in the driver’s seat to create expertise and maintain a team of creators or content admins to make, curate, and disseminate knowledge.
What are the roles and responsibilities of a knowledge manager?
1. Strategic planning
- Planning knowledge-sharing goals and activities throughout the organization or department are necessary for a knowledge manager.
- Strategic planning helps foresee https://www.uaepainters.com/ human resources required and the time for all knowledge-related operations.
- With strategic planning in place, both internal and external knowledge at an organization can be managed with ease.
2. Promote knowledge capture
- A knowledge manager must always be the foremost to suggest recording or maintaining any form of data.
- Through the strategic planning of a knowledge manager, a knowledge capturing culture needs to be maintained.
- If this is done correctly, it leads to less creation of new content and repurposing or reusing existing content in relevant areas.
- They are responsible for training employees in editorial roles.
- Training must involve activities that inculcate an organizational culture of knowledge sharing.
- The metrics involved within training to assess the quality of content to be made are set by the knowledge manager.
4. Quality check
- He/she is responsible for running all quality checks on the content.
- This also includes checks on how the content is working, whether it is of any help or not.
- Quality checking must be done in regular intervals to ensure that content is always accurate.
How to become a good knowledge manager with knowledge management?
1. Adopt a knowledge management platform
- The first and the most crucial step for them is to evaluate a good internal knowledge base platform for the organization.
- Even though many players are responsible for this platform, the knowledge managers need to use it on a daily basis, so it is essential to go with a platform that is best suited for the organizational needs.
- Today many platforms offer great solutions for knowledge management, including solutions derived from Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence.
2. Create new knowledge
- To create knowledge with the help of a knowledge management platform makes a their job easy.
- With a knowledge management platform like Knowmax, a robust, AI-backed knowledge management platform, you can create no-code DIY decision trees, articles, visual guides, and FAQs.
- These interactive ways of creating knowledge make information sought in the format it is most suitable to be presented in.
- With micro-segmented analytics like in Knowmax, you can check how each piece of article or information is doing.
- This can be looked at individually and as a whole team; micro-segmented analytics show how long a user spent on a particular document and the steps followed to find what they are looking for.
- Micro-segmented analytics help strategical planning based on practical usage and helpfulness of the information created.
4. Take feedback
- Feedback is a must-have process for knowledge managers apart from reviewing the micro-segmented analytics.
- Platforms like Knowmax have feedback mechanisms through which any user can rate how helpful a document was and make it even better than ever.
- Content can be changed immediately or in the pipeline. They can highlight areas that they may not have seen before feedback.
5. Introduce quiz management
- With knowledge management system like Knowmax, you get a light learning management system along with your knowledge base tools.
- How this help a knowledge manager? It helps train any employee using the platform to either know a new topic while accessing a particular document or make a new-employees onboarding easier.
- Features like quiz management help refresh memory and learn basic information required to view any document. It also helps the assess the level of understanding the users are at.
Managing knowledge is a massive responsibility at any organization. A knowledge management system can help a knowledge manager perform various functions without much effort. Moreover, new knowledge base management platforms have so much more to offer than just managing knowledge in an organization.
Knowledge management is not experimental and here to stay, so get tools and use platforms that help create a diverse knowledge culture in your organization.